HOW IS DJJ PREVENTING COVID-19 FROM BEING INTRODUCED INTO ITS EVALUATION CENTERS, THE JUVENILE DETENTION CENTER AND THE BROAD RIVER ROAD COMPLEX?
In accordance with Governor Henry McMaster's leadership and guidance, we have implemented procedures to limit the transmission of COVID-19 in our secured facilities, county offices, and alternative placement sites.
At Our Secure Facilities
Within our secured facilities, we have implemented preventive measures that meet or exceed all current recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SC DHEC), and include:
- Staff and youth are avoiding large gatherings when possible.
- Increasing outdoor activities allowing for social distancing.
- Mandatory COVID-19 screening of all juveniles at intake and before intra-agency transfer to other SC DJJ facilities. Youth are then monitored routinely for development of symptoms. If youth have an elevated screening develop symptoms, they will immediately be referred to that facility's medical infirmary for further evaluation.
- Staff and volunteers are offered opportunities for routine COVID-19 testing.
- Regularly sanitizing all “high touch” surfaces in work areas with a disinfectant solution that is approved to kill viruses. This can be a commercial cleaner (such as Lysol), or a 1:10 bleach solution.
- Conducting routine handwashing routine for staff and youth. Staff are teaching juveniles proper hand-washing techniques.
- Additional sanitization products (hand sanitizer dispensers, gloves, disinfectant sprays and wipes) are being made available to staff.
For more information on our secure facilities and alternative placement sites, visit our Facilities page.
We understand face-to face interaction is an important and fundamental part of serving and rehabilitating youth offenders. Our County offices have resumed in-person meeting with youth and their families. All Community staff have also been instructed to regularly sanitize their work areas with a disinfectant solution that is approved to kill viruses. For a full list of county offices and their contact information, see our County Directory.
Please see our Visitation page for updates on visiting youth at SCDJJ. Visiting Youth at a DJJ Secure Facility | South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice (sc.gov)
Click HERE to complete the Visitation request form.