Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I join Team DJJ?

See current job openings and apply now. 

Is DJJ a cabinet-level agency?

Yes, DJJ is a cabinet-level agency. In 1993, the Department of Youth Services was renamed and reorganized as part of the overall state government restructuring initiative. On July 1, 1993, it became known as the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ), a cabinet-level agency. The Director is now appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Where do I find laws related to system-involved youth?
View the South Carolina Juvenile Justice Code

What is DJJ's role within South Carolina's juvenile justice system?

DJJ is responsible for providing custodial care, supervision, and rehabilitation for the state’s children (ages 17 and under at the time of the commission of a criminal or status offense) who are incarcerated, on probation or parole, and/or in community placement.  View the Juvenile Justice process for a more detailed look at the state's juvenile justice process.

What is considered contraband inside a DJJ secure facility? 

See our Visitation page for Contraband laws.

How do I visit youth at a DJJ facility?

Each of our five secure facilities has unique visitation guidelines. See our Visitation page for rules and guidelines for each facility.

How can I send letters to my child while they are in a secure DJJ facility?

Youth at our secure facilities are encouraged to write to family. We also encourage families to write to their children. Mail is not censored, but we do open mail and check for items DJJ youth cannot have. Juveniles may receive greeting cards by mail while at the Broad River Road Complex (BRRC). PLEASE DO NOT SEND MUSICAL CARDS. All incoming letters should be addressed to the child’s full name, DJJ identification number, and be sent to the BRRC Unit and address as listed below:

[BRRC Unit]
SC Dept. of Juvenile Justice
4900 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29212
[Social Worker name]
[Social Worker phone #]

How do I contact my child's social worker or Intensive Supervision Officer?

You may contact your child's Intensive Supervision Officer by calling your local county office.

A social worker should contact you within 72 hours of your child's placement into a DJJ facility. If you do not have your child's social worker contact information, you may contact the facility where your child is located.

How do I contact a DJJ county office?

DJJ provides services to juveniles and their families in the community through 43 county offices, servicing all 46 counties in the state. View Contact information to all of our county offices. 

How do I make a Restitution payment?

Payments cannot be made directly to victims, but must come through the DJJ Fiscal Affairs Office via Money Order, Cashier's Check, or by using the online payment processing service. Regardless of payment method, Fiscal Affairs records the payment and a check is then mailed to the victim.

My child is acting out. Is there a program to show where he/she could end up if he/ she continues delinquent behavior?

"Project: Right Turn" is a program that provides youth and their parents an opportunity to tour one of DJJ’s three evaluation centers as a result of a Family Court order, as an intervention through Arbitration or contract, or as a graduated sanction for youth on probation. The program focuses on educating young offenders about good decision making and the potential consequences of continued delinquent behavior and includes a parent education component and a presentation from DJJ’s The Insiders.

Where can I go to see and purchase work created by youth in DJJ's work programs?

You may visit DJJ's Store of HOPE or find youth-made items at the Bill Rodgers Community Connections Center located on the Broad River Road Complex in Columbia, SC. 

How can I get involved with DJJ as a volunteer, mentor or intern?

DJJ relies heavily on the thousands of volunteers, mentors, and interns who generously spend hundreds of thousands of service hours each year investing in and caring for DJJ-involved youth, victims' families, and the state of South Carolina. Visit our Get Involved page to learn more, as well as see several other ways DJJ could use your help.

How can I subscribe to news and updates of information related to DJJ?

We would love for you to follow DJJ on all of our social media platforms - Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. We also send out news releases via email. To subscribe to our news release distribution list, please email

What are the rules and guidelines regarding the recording of information for public media?

Media is prohibited from the capture of identifying photographs, video clips, or audio that will make agency-involved youth recognizable. This includes, but is not limited to, the youth’s face, tattoos, or any documents that reveal the youth's name (to include ID badges). Youth who are 16 years of age or older can sign a media waiver, which grants media permission to use a youth's identity for any print, broadcast, or social media purposes. The Public Information Department is required to oversee and approve any content that is gathered regarding DJJ and its youth.

How does a news organization submit a media inquiry?

News organizations may submit media inquiries to or call (803) 920-9850.

How do I submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request and what are the associated fees?

FOIA requests should be made via email to

Copies over 25 pages = $.20 per page
Search/retrieval fee = No fee if documents are readily available. $20 per hour after 30 minutes.
Scanning/Redaction fee = $20 per hour after the first 30 minutes.
Postage = if the cost exceeds the standard USPS first class postage stamp, postage must be paid in advance.